This one pan dish is perfect for a weeknight meal. Arroz con Pollo simply means rice with chicken and that’s exactly what it is. The rice gets so much flavor from the chicken that is seared first and cooked with the rice. Add this to your next meal plan for an easy and flavorful meal!
Arroz con Pollo is one of those dishes that brings back childhood memories. My mom often made this dish because it is so easy and economical. It also makes lots of food and is perfect for leftovers. The great thing about this dish is the amazing flavor the rice gets from the chicken. The chicken gets seared first and then is added back in to the rice to finish cooking and infuse the rice with lots of flavor. Traditionally my mom always added mixed veggies because we have to add a little healthy touch, right?
Here’s what you are going to need to make Arroz con Pollo:
-Chicken thighs or preferred chicken pieces
-Long grain white rice
These ingredients are things that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. You can prep ahead by chopping the onion, mincing the garlic, and rinsing your rice. Rinsing the rice is something I was taught to do and something my grandma continues to do. It helps rinse off some of the starch and makes for a less “sticky” rice that won’t clump together. Though this stop is not necessary it is highly recommended for best results. Just trust my grandma, it’s always a good idea to do so ;).
Something I still sometimes do when I make this dish is mix chicken bouillon with water instead of using chicken broth. In our household there was a always a big container of chicken bouillon powder used for all kinds of dishes. However, I’ve been trying to make some recipes I grew up eating a little healthier and use less processed ingredients. Don’t worry though, that doesn’t mean the flavor is lost because it is absolutely still there!
Arroz con Pollo
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cup chicken broth *see note
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup mixed vegetables thawed if frozen or use canned
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 lb chicken thighs or chicken pieces of choice
- ½-1 tsp cumin adjust to taste
- s&p to taste
- olive oil
- Rinse rice in a sieve with cold water until water runs clear. This is highly recommend it to prevent rice from clumping and sticking together.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and onion. Cook for a couple of minutes and add garlic.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and cumin. Add chicken to pan and sear until browned on both sides. Don't worry if chicken is not cooked through, it will continue to cook with rice. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add rice to pan and cook with onion and garlic until slightly toasted. Add in tomato sauce and vegetables. Pour in chicken broth and slightly stir mixture. Add salt as needed.
- Place chicken thighs back in pan on top of rice. Cover with lid and let it cook for about 30 minutes over medium heat. If liquid remains after 30 minutes, cook for additional 5 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and leave covered for additional 10 minutes.