This is not your traditional steak and potatoes. Bistec con Papas, or Mexican Steak and Potatoes, is full of flavor thanks to it getting cooked in a delicious spicy sauce. This is Mexican comfort food for sure!
Bistec con papas is one of those dishes that brings back all the memories. It reminds me of Sundays at my grandma’s when she made this with homemade tortillas, (food freedom!). It also reminds me of many meals at home with my parents and I can picture my mami roasting the veggies for the sauce. This recipe is incredibly simple yet bursting with flavor thanks to that sauce.
It starts with cooking the steak, then adding the onions and potatoes. These get cooked until the liquid from the steak has been absorbed and the sauce gets added. They key to this is letting it all simmer for a few minutes. You will see the sauce go from a vibrant red to a deep orange color. That means all the flavors have infused into the sauce and turned it into something absolutely delicious.
As far as what kind of steak to use, there are numerous options. I typically use a beef chuck flat iron steak or top sirloin. You can also use beef chuck petite tender steak, skirt steak, or flank steak. Whichever cut you decide to use just make sure it has some fat on it. You don’t want a very lean or trimmed cut steak otherwise you’ll end up with dry steak. You also want to cut your steak into thin strips. This is the way it is traditionally made but it doesn’t matter how you cut the steak because it will be delicious either way!
This Bistec con Papas, or Mexican Steak and Potatoes, is perfect for meal prep. It reheats well and is so flipping good with a couple of fried eggs on top. Seriously, it makes for great brunch food with some rice and beans on the side or cauli rice and veggies when on Whole30. Bistec con Papas is true comfort food and anytime I go over to my parents’ for dinner and my mami asks whats I want, this is it. Make this dish and let me just drown in this delicious goodness.
Bistec con Papas (Mexican Setak and Potatoes)
Steak and Potatoes
- 2 lb thinly cut steak *see notes
- 2 russet potatoes cubed
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 8 roma tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
Steak and Potatoes
- Place large pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add steak and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onion, potatoes, and the rest of the oil. Cook until steak starts to brown and potatoes start to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Add sauce to steak and potatoes and cover pan or dutch oven with lid.
- Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Place all ingredients except salt on baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes, flipping everything halfway through.
- Add everything to blender, including salt, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Top Sirloin
- Beef Chuck Flat Iron Steak
- Beef Chuck Petite Tender Steak
- Skirt Steak
- Flank Steak