Traditional arroz con pollo has a special place in my heart, (and a reserved spot in my belly!). It’s a dish I grew up eating all the time and I never got tired of it. My mom would always make the best arroz con pollo using bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks or a combination of both. The rice absorbed all of the flavor from cooking the chicken in the same pan and it was divine! Same goes for this cauliflower rice version.
I knew I had to recreate a childhood favorite and make it into something cleaner and low-carb. After all, having diabetes means carbs are not really my best friend. Plug in this cauliflower arroz con pollo. I know you might be thinking, “great, another cauliflower rice dish” but hear me out. After you cook the perfectly seasoned chicken in the pan it leaves delicious juices and flavor. Once you add the cauliflower rice to the pan it absorbs those flavors. Then you add the chicken back in, add the rest, and let it simmer to really get all those flavors into all of the veggies. Not only is this recipe flavorful but it’s also a one-pan meal. Win win!
The beauty about this cauliflower arroz con pollo is that you can’t even tell it’s healthy or “clean”. Now I’m not going to lie and tell you that you can’t even tell it’s not rice, because you can. However, with the burst of flavor that’s packed into this meal you won’t even be thinking about the rice while you’re eating it. It has been such a great alternative for me and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to cut down on carbs. This dish is Whole30 compliant but trust me, you do not need to be on Whole30 to enjoy it!
This is also a great dish to make ahead for meal prep as it reheats well. Feel free to play around with the kind of chicken you use for this. It truly does work well with any kind of chicken or you can omit the chicken and just use the cauliflower rice as a side. I like to add a little spice and drizzle some salsa on top and squirt a little lime juice for added tang.
I will say if you’re living your food freedom and are looking for an original and traditional arroz con pollo recipe, check this recipe out. It is just how my mami made it growing up and will forever remind me of family dinners spent together. No, it’s not low-carb or very diabetic-friendly for me. However, it brings back all those lovely memories of family time and it warms my heart and soul.
Cauliflower Arroz con Pollo
- 1 lb chicken thighs *see note
- 1 pkg frozen cauliflower rice (10-12 oz.)
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables thawed and drained **See note.
- ½ cup tomato sauce can sub ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt divided. Adjust to taste.
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Once oil is hot add chicken and cook until browned on both sides.
- Remove chicken and add onion and garlic.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and add cauliflower rice.
- Cook until the liquid has evaporated and add veggies, tomato sauce, chicken broth, coriander, and remaining salt. Stir until combined.
- Add chicken back in and cover with lid. Cook for about 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.