Need a super easy and delicious meal?? Look no further! These Chicken Flautas are so incredibly easy that you’ll be wanting to make them all the time. The great thing about these chicken flautas is that you can use any shredded chicken you have on hand or just used rotisserie chicken. I love making a big batch of chicken for the week to use it for various things and these flautas are definitely one of our favorites.
All you truly need to make these flautas are three major ingredients:
*Oil of choice
The rest of the ingredients are topping options which are incredibly versatile but definitely make the flauta experience 100x better. Typically flautas are topped with shredded lettuce, sliced onions, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and crumbled queso fresco. Finish it off with your favorite salsa, like my salsa verde, for extra flavor and spice!
Some people will use toothpicks to keep the flautas together. This is to ensure they don’t unravel when they are cooking so you don’t end up losing the filling. However, my mom taught me to just roll them up tightly and make sure to start by frying them seam side down. Make sure you do not touch the flautas or try to turn them too early otherwise the seam will not have stuck together and the flauta will unravel. Once they’re fried and crispy on one side, flip them over and cook until the flautas are crispy and golden all around. Place them on a sheet pan lined with paper towels to drain excess oil and that’s it!
Now that you’ve made these delicious flautas you’ve got the serve them up with all the goods! As I mentioned above, topping possibilities are endless and you really can’t go wrong. You’ve also got to think about the sides you need to go with your flautas. Mexican rice is always a good idea, maybe add some beans also. My Mexican fideo recipe found here is also a solid choice. You don’t HAVE to have a side, these are a great meal on their own. However, aren’t more carbs or more food just always a good choice in the end?! Maybe a Marg to wash it all down??
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken about 2 chicken breasts; *see notes
- olive oil or oil of choice
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- ¼ red onion sliced
- 1 large tomato diced
- sour cream to taste
- queso fresco crumbled; to taste
- salsa verde to taste
- Before starting on the flauta, prepare all of your topping. Shred, dice, slice all veggies. Crumble queso fresco, and take out sour cream and salsa. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add enough oil to cover bottom of skillet. Place over medium high heat to ensure oil gets very hot.
- While oil is heating up, warm up corn tortillas in microwave or on a hot ungreased skillet just until pliable, a few seconds on each side.
- Top one side of the tortilla with about 2 tbsp of shredded chicken. You can make them as full and and filled as desired.
- Starting on end with chicken on top, roll tortilla over the chicken making sure to tuck end under the chicken and roll tightly.
- Repeat with the rest of tortillas and chicken ensuring you keep flautas seam down.
- Prepare a platter or baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain fried flautas.
- Add flautas seam-side down to hot oil working in 2 or 3 batches depending on size of skillet.
- Fry until golden, about 5 minutes, and flip. If after 5 minutes flauta is still soft on seam side, leave seam-side down for an additional 2 minutes. Fry other side for 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Transfer fried flautas to baking sheet.
- Serve topped with desired toppings and side(s) of choice.