This Chicken Tinga Tostadas recipe is so easy and simple, perfect for any weeknight meal. To make things easier you can make the chicken tinga ahead of time as part of your meal prep. A crispy tostada shell topped with refried bens, chicken tinga, veggies, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Any variety or toppings works great for this, you seriously can’t go wrong!
Growing up my tia, (aunt), made Chicken Tinga Tostadas all the time. It got to the point that anytime she invited the whole family over for dinner my dad would say, “I bet you we are having tinga tostadas again”. It was usually true BUT I could never complain because it was always so dang good and I would happily have them any day, any time. We always gathered in her small kitchen and built our own tostadas with all the good stuff she laid out. These tostadas were always a hit and are the perfect dish for gatherings and entertaining. (I know we are still in COVID times so take that how you will :))
Here’s what you’ll need to make your Chicken Tinga Tostadas:
- Tostada shells: you can make your own or use store-bought. I always go with store-bought because it saves time and they’re delicious!
- Refried beans: make your own from homemade beans or canned beans. You can certainly used canned refried beans, you do you!
- Chicken Tinga: the star of the show, of course. Use my chicken tinga recipe found here. It’s great to make a big batch of and have it on hand for other things like tacos, burritos, etc.
- Toppings of choice but traditionally we use shredded lettuce, onions, tomatoes, crumbled queso fresco, sour cream.
- Salsa: always top with salsa. I am biased but salsa verde is the way to go! Find my recipe for salsa verde here.
Now that you are well equipped, you are good to go and make these fantastic tostadas. You can always make a tostada bar by laying out all of the prepared ingredients so everyone can build their own tostadas. Fair warning: you will make a mess when you eat them, especially if you’ve loaded your tostadas up. However, it is 100% worth the mess because they’re so dang good!
Chicken Tinga Tostadas
- 8 tostada shells
- 2 cups refried beans add more or less for preference
- 1 batch chicken tinga *see notes for recipe link
- 1 cup queso fresco crumbled; or cheese of choice
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 1 roma tomato diced
- ½ red onion sliced
- sour cream to taste
- salsa to taste
- Start assembling by smearing refried beans onto tostada shell.
- Add chicken tinga and the rest of the preferred toppings.
- End with drizzling desired amount of salsa.