Chorizo con papas is hands down one of the easiest and most delicious meals. This is then stuffed into bell peppers for a whole new stuffed pepper experience. These are the perfect meal for any time of the day. Throw a fried egg on top or add scrambled eggs to the chorizo con papas for breakfast. Serve them with side of rice or veggies for full meal. Throw some cheese on top, add some sour cream and salsa for some flavor.
This recipe came about when I needed more options while on Whole30. Chorizo con papas was already a staple but I wanted something more filling and versatile. Plug in bell peppers which are the perfect “boats” for all the things. Not only does this make it full of flavor and convenient but it makes for the perfect egg-less breakfast. I am the biggest egg fan there is, I could eat eggs pretty much everyday. However, sometimes even I need an egg break. Adding cauli rice to the chorizo con papas mix is the perfect way to add extra veggies and make this even more filling.
Let’s talk Whole30 compliant chorizo. If you all don’t know by now, I am a big Whole30 advocate and am all about creating compliant meals full of flavor. I know compliant chorizo can be very hard to find which is why I created my chorizo recipe found here. If your grocery store has store-made chorizo, check the label or ask about ingredients to ensure there’s no added sugar or other non-compliant ingredients. When I don’t make my own chorizo I buy Mulay’s Sausage chorizo. It is compliant, absolutely delicious, and can be found here. If you live in Kansas City you probably know Scimeca’s Sausage and will be happy to know their chorizo is compliant. You can find it at your local Hy-vee or Price Chopper.
I know I talked a lot about Whole30 and compliant ingredients but this is not just to enjoy on Whole30. It is absolutely a cleaner and healthier version of stuffed peppers but let me tell you, add some rice to the mixture and you’ve got a delicious meal. Go even further and add some beans to the mix as well and make it hearty and comforting. These kind of recipes are my favorite, the kind where you can add your own flare and make it whatever your taste buds desire. Provecho!
Chorizo con Papas Stuffed Peppers
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 7 bell peppers
- 1 pkg Mulay's Chorizo or 1 lb chorizo of choice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat add some olive oil, onion, and potatoes.
- Cook until potatoes start to soften and add chorizo.
- While chorizo is cooking, cut 6 peppers horizontally and remove seeds. Chop remaining pepper.
- Once chorizo is cooked through, drain any excess fat, add chopped pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place peppers on large greased baking sheet cut-side up and broil in the oven for 10 minutes. Oven broilers vary so keep an eye on the peppers careful not to burn them.
- Remove peppers from oven and stuff with potato and chorizo mixture. Top with cilantro and salsa.