There is really not much out there better than a gooey, spicy, and flavorful queso fundido. Top with chorizo and jalapenos for the ultimate party in your mouth! Oh, and of course, serve it with some warm and slightly charred flour tortillas for a heavenly experience!
Anyone else really really really love cheese?? I mean, that kind of “I can’t live without you or I may just die” love? Guess what, I do! In fact, the hardest thing for me to give up and live without while doing a Whole30 is cheese. So you bet your butt this queso fundido is what my dreams are made of! There are various Mexican restaurants offering all kinds of versions of this and they’re all phenomenal, really. What I do have to tell you is how incredibly easy and quick it is. Fundido translates to molten, or melted, and it’s exactly just that: melted cheese.
I mean, C’MON you guys! Look. At. That. Cheese pull! (Courtesy of the best photographer, Beth Grimm. Go check her out here!). All you need to create this goodness is a few types of cheeses, onion, some chorizo, and a couple of toppings. Oh, flour tortillas and tortilla chips are a must. Also, make sure you have a good iron skillet or any oven safe dish will work. That is it. Nothing complicated, nothing fancy, just pure deliciousness.
I like to keep it simple and easy. However, you can absolutely take this to the next level and add some roasted peppers and onions. Think fajita veggies meet queso fundido. Oh yeah, it is heavenly and worth the extra steps. Don’t you worry, I will bring you all the flavor and spice with a fajita queso fundido recipe because, YUM-O.
All photos courtesy of Beth Grimm.
Chorizo Queso Fundido
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup queso quesadilla (queso asadero) shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine all cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a 10 inch iron skillet add onions and chorizo and cook over medium heat until chorizo cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chorizo from skillet and drain excess fat as needed.
- Place half of the cheese mixture in skillet, top with half of the chorizo, add remaining cheese, and top with remaining chorizo.
- Place skillet in preheated oven and bac efor 20 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with jalapenos, radishes, and cilantro. Serve with warm flour tortillas and tortilla chips.