Instant pot lasagna soup is exactly what you would think of when you say it. A hearty soup with all the components of a delicious lasagna deconstructed and turned into a soup. As if lasagna wasn’t already comforting enough, right?! My favorite part about the soup is the delicious ricotta-based cheese mixture that you dollop on top of the soup. The warmth from the soup helps it melt right in and make it extra creamy and delicious!
When I got the idea to make this soup I was thinking about making a more complex and time-consuming dish into something quick and just as delicious. I love making a big pan of lasagna from scratch, it’s just so satisfying to make something that’s a little time-consuming and yields such a delicious result. It’s all the love I put into it, really, that makes it so special. However, let me be honest, I don’t have the time to do that very often when I work a full time job and need to get dinner on the table fairly quickly. Plug in this instant pot lasagna soup. All the goods from a traditional lasagna, (and more!), turned into one easy and quick meal.
All you need is your instant pot and some basic lasagna ingredients like sausage, ground beef, pasta sauce, pasta, some cheese, and broth. I like to sneak veggies in wherever I can for my husband, (yup, just like you would need to for a child!), so I add chopped spinach as well. Use any kind of pasta you’d like, no pasta shape or size is discriminated here! However, to get a traditional lasagna pasta feel you can use broken up lasagna sheets or Campanelle pasta which is curled like the edges of lasagna sheets can be. The ricotta-based cheese mixture is definitely the cherry on top. So simple made with only ricotta cheese, a blend of shredded parmesan and mozzarella, and parsley. It makes for the perfect way to top this soup, making it even more comforting and delicious. As I mentioned before, I love how the warmth of the soup makes it melt right into it creating a creamy, cheesy mixture. So dang good!!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- ½ lb italian sausage
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jar pasta sauce (24-27 oz)
- 6 cups beef broth
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- 2 cup spinach chopped; optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan * see note
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella * see note
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt adjust to taste
- Mix everything together in small bowl and adjust salt to taste. Set aside.
- Turn instant pot to sauté mode and add oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add sausage and ground beef, break it apart, and cook until browned. Add salt if needed.
- Add the rest of the soup ingredients to instant pot and switch mode to pressure cook on high. Cover instant pot, ensure valve is set to seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Once ready, manually release. Adjust salt as needed.
- Top with dollop of cheese mixture and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.