These margaritas have a slight tartness from the hibiscus tea and hint of sweetness from the ginger simple syrup. Perfect for a hot summer day or any day of the year when a Margarita is warranted. So pretty much always!
After a long week of work, or just because, there’s nothing like a delicious and satisfying margarita. The tequila with the tartness of the hibiscus tea, (Agua de Jamaica), is the best combo. What makes it perfect? The ginger simple syrup! You definitely don’t want to skip this step. You can use the simple syrup for various other drinks but it absolutely pairs great with the hibiscus.
The idea came about when I tried a hibiscus and ginger kombucha. The first sip was heavenly and I thought: dang! these flavors would make for one yummy marg. Here we are now, enjoying the concoction that I won’t take ALL of the credit for but will toot my own horn for creating it.
You’ll first want to make this Agua de Jamaica. This will be your base for this margarita. However, you can absolutely enjoy a mocktail by simply adding ginger simple syrup to the Agua de Jamaica and pouring over ice.
Simple syrup is the easiest thing to make: in a saucepan combine equal amounts sugar and water, mix to dissolve, and let it come to a boil. That’s it! To make a ginger simple syrup just add about a couple of inches of peeled ginger to the water and sugar combo after all of the sugar has dissolved and let it come to a boil. Once cooled transfer to a jar with the ginger piece. Use it for these margaritas, make a yummy ginger lemonade, use it for other cocktails…endless possibilities!
Jamaica and Ginger Margaritas
- 4 oz agua de jamaica/hibiscus tea
- 2 oz tequila
- 2 oz ginger simple syrup
- ginger beer or ginger sparkling water to top off
Ginger Simple Syrup
- 2 inches fresh ginger peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Add agua de jamaica, tequila, and simple syrup to shaker and shake to combine thoroughly. Alternatively add everything to a large measuring cup or jug and stir.
- Rim the glass with salt by running a lime wedge around the rim of the glass and dipping glass in salt.
- Pour into a glass with ice and top with ginger beer or sparkling water.
Ginger Simple Syrup
- Add water, sugar, and ginger to saucepan and bring to boil.
- Let cool completely and transfer to jar.
Leave a Reply