Mexican chicken salad is full of veggies, packed with lots of flavor, and has a little kick thanks to some pickled jalapeños. It makes for the perfect lunch or a great side for your bbq or potluck!
This Mexican chicken salad is something I grew up eating whenever we went to a quinceañera, a wedding, or any Mexican gathering or party. My favorite part of this recipe is all the veggies that are packed into this chicken. Parents, isn’t this just the thing you need? A delicious meal packed with veggies that your kids probably won’t even be bothered by because it’s just that good?! Yup, you need it in your life because trust me when I say the flavor is not sacrificed in this delicious chicken salad!
All you need for this chicken salad are 5 simple ingredients, not counting s&p of course. Gather a couple of chicken breasts, a couple of small potatoes, some mixed veggies, (frozen or canned work great!), some pickled jalapeños and some mayonnaise. That’s it and you can have this chicken salad ready in no time! I love how fresh all the vegetables make this chicken salad taste and feel. You can absolutely add other veggies, omit some of them, or add in your favorite chicken salad ingredients. Leave out the corn for a Whole30 option that is still as delicious and flavorful.
At any gathering this chicken salad was served with saltine crackers. Trust me when I tell you that is absolutely 100% the way you should eat this. There is something about that dry saltine that pairs perfectly with the creaminess of this chicken salad. Second best option? Tostadas! Top a tostada with chicken salad and drizzle a little salsa Valentina on top for an extra kick. OOOHHH man, that is THE stuff right there! Whatever way you choose to enjoy it, I promise this Mexican chicken salad will be delicious any way.
Mexican Chicken Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 cups mixed vegetables use canned or frozen
- pickled jalapeño minced
- 1 tbsp jalapeño pickle juice optional
- 1/4 cup mayo *see note
- s&p to taste
- Cook the chicken breast with preferred method. I boil mine with some salted water until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes. Place these in a pot with salted water over medium high heat. Make sure you check on the potatoes at about 10-15 minutes to see if they are cooked. You want the potatoes soft enough to be pierced with a fork but not too soft that they turn to mush. You don’t want mashed potatoes mixed into the salad.
- While the chicken and potatoes are cooking, defrost the vegetables if they are frozen or drain the canned veggies. Add these along with the mayo, jalapeño, and some s&p to large bowl.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain them and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process and cool the potatoes. Drain well and add to veggie mix.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let it cool for a while, shred it and add to the rest of the ingredients. The chicken can easily be shredded with a hand mixer if you want to save some time.
- Mix everything well and add more s&p if needed. At this time you can also add a little more mayo if you want it creamier. If using jalapeño pickle juice, add now and mix well.
- Place chicken salad in refrigerator for at least an hour. Serve with saltine crackers or tostadas.