Carne Asada meets mushrooms for the best Mushroom Asada Tacos! With these tacos you won’t even miss the meat, trust me. Carne asada flavors are infused into the mushrooms leaving you with the tastiest meatless taco option.
Sometimes we need a little break from all the meat we consume, right? OK by we I absolutely mean me but still, you need to try these! Mushrooms naturally have a “meaty” taste, (I am so technical, I know), and they always compliment any beef dish. This is why replacing the beef or steak in carne asada tacos works perfectly!
Carne asada translates to grilled meat which is how the original recipe started. Marinated meats are thrown on a grill and cooked to perfection with the most amazing flavors. In my family we always had carne asada on spring and summer holidays and made for the best family memories. There was always tortillas, usually homemade, ready to put the carne asada onto and top with salsa to make it a taco. I will stick to what I always say: you can top or stuff tortillas with anything and call it a taco!
Keep in mind to make any carne asada tacos you don’t have to grill a thing. You can absolutely use your favorite skillet, cast iron pan, or indoor grill. If you have the time I would highly recommend you marinade the mushrooms for at least a couple of hours to really infuse the flavors. You don’t have to, but it truly makes these tacos incredibly flavorful. Let’s talk about the simplicity of this recipe and what ingredients you’ll need.
- Portobello Mushrooms
- Chopped onions
Slice or chop the mushrooms after you’ve cleaned them off. Leave the mushroom whole if you plan on grilling them on a grill. Marinade mushrooms with lime juice, cilantro, salt, and cumin. Cook the mushrooms with preferred method. I like to use my cast iron or grill pan if I am cooking indoors. Once the mushrooms are cooked it’s time to assemble your tacos! I love using yellow corn tortillas but you can certainly pick your favorite. Top with chopped onions, salsa, cilantro, and radishes. I will forever recommend my salsa verde for tacos because it truly is my favorite. Go check out my salsa verde recipe here!
Mushroom Asada Tacos
- 4 portobello mushroom caps sliced or chopped to saute. Whole to grill.
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼-½ tsp salt adjust to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 8 tortillas
- cilantro chopped
- onion chopped
- radishes chopped or sliced
- salsa verde
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. If grilling mushrooms keep whole. If sauteing them slice or chop mushrooms.
- In a bowl combine mushrooms with the rest of the mushroom asada ingredients. If possible, let marinade for a couple of hours. If not, let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- If grilling: grill whole mushrooms for a couple of minutes on each side until softened and cooked.If sauteing: place pan over medium-high heat and when pan is hot, add mushrooms. Saute for 4-6 minutes until mushrooms are soft.
- Warm tortillas with preferred method. Assemble tacos with mushrooms and toppings. Enjoy!
How much bouillon did you use
Nadine, I am sorry but I am confused about where the bouillon comes in to play here. If I misspoke anywhere, I apologize!