These pork belly tacos are next level thanks to an ancho chili powder rub. It’s like carnita tacos were taken to a whole new level! Topped with pineapple slaw, these tacos will satisfy all you taco cravings!
I am a Kansas City girl and good Kansas City BBQ is something to be proud of. One of my favorite meats is pork belly and I had to figure out a way to incorporate it into a taco. Plug in these pork belly tacos that are incredibly flavorful and topped with the perfect slaw for a hint of sweetness. I love this recipe for entertaining and pairs perfect with any fruity margarita. If you know me you know I LOVE salsa verde and a little drizzle of salsa on top makes this perfect!
Let’s talk about the start of the taco show here, pork belly. This may not be the easiest cut of pork to find but if you can get it, do so. The extra fat in pork belly makes it much more flavorful and so worth it. However, you can absolutely use another cut of pork such as pork butt, shoulder, or even chops. Simply cube whichever cut of meat you choose and season. The pork gets rubbed generously with an ancho chili mix and roasted in the oven. I like to leave the meat under the broiler for just a minute or two to get it a little crispy.
What else makes these tacos phenomenal? The pineapple slaw to top them off with that provides just the perfect hint of sweetness. I really don’t know if there’s a better fruit pairing with pork than pineapple. Trust me when I say you want this sweet goodness in your tacos. The combination of cabbage, carrots, and pineapple makes for the best crunchy-sweet combination. If sweet and savory is not your jam no worries, just omit the pineapple and make a plain slaw. Top with your favorite salsa, or my salsa verde, and you are all set!
Pork Belly Tacos with Pineapple Slaw
Ancho Chili Rubbed Pork Belly
- 1 lb pork belly fat trimmed to preference
- 1 tbsp ancho chili powder can use regular chili powder
- ½ tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup shredded green cabbage
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder can use regular chili powder
- salt to taste
- 8 corn tortillas or tortillas of choice
- pork belly
- pineapple slaw
- sliced red onions pickled onions if available
Ancho Chili Rubbed Pork Belly
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix all spices together and rub on all sides of pork belly. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Turn on broiler and place pan under broiler for 2 minutes, turning halfway through. This is optional but worth it to get it a little crispy on the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes. Cut pork belly into cubes.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour. Can use right away but if time allows keep in fridge so the flavors can get well incorporated.
- Heat tortillas through with method of choice. I like to heat mine on a hot skillet to get a little char on them.
- Add pork belly, top with slaw, onions, and salsa. Enjoy!