Pozole is something I grew up eating my entire life. Hominy and meat in a broth made with spices and chiles, and all the garnishes your heart desires. However, pozole verde is something new, exciting, and different from the stuff my grandma made. This recipe is super easy and absolutely satisfying.
Ask anyone who is Mexican or comes from a Mexican family about pozole and they will describe pozole rojo to you. Traditional pozole rojo is made with a red sauce broth base that made with chiles guajillos and anchos. It is traditionally made with pork and always has hominy. In my family, pozole is served with shredded lettuce, radishes, oregano, and some lime juice. We always have a spicy red salsa on hand if we want some extra heat.
Let’s talk about pozole verde, shall we? This recipe came about when I decided I wanted to use a few things I had on hand: my salsa verde, a can of hominy, and some chicken. Next thing you know my husband and I are in love with this creation! I am not even kidding when I say this is one of the easisest things you can make and it is so full of flavor.
Here is what you need:
- Hominy (I use this brand and it can be found at various grocery stores. Any type of hominy will work)
- Salsa Verde (Use my recipe found here. TRUST me, you want to use this one!)
- Radishes, jalapenos, and limes for garnish
- Tortilla chips to serve with
That is all there is to it. You have the option of throwing it in an instant pot or simmer stove top. Working full-time Monday through Friday can be hectic, so instant pot version is definitely my go-to! I hope you give it a try and love it as much as we do.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chicken broth use broth of choice
- 1 (25 oz) can hominy
- 2 cups salsa verde
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla chips
- Place chicken and water in instant pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes and manually release steam.
- Drain hominy in colander and rinse with water.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred or chop chicken. Add back to pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes just to heat everything through and blend the flavors together. Manually release pressure.
- Garnish with jalapenos, radishes, cilantro, and lime. Serve with tortilla chips.
- *Alternatively place everything but hominy and garnish ingredients in large pot or dutch oven. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat, add hominy, and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Remove chicken and shred or chop it and place back in pot. Serve and garnish as mentioned previously.