These Quesabirria Tacos (Birria Quesadillas) have been a pandemic sensation! Everywhere you look you can find quesabirria tacos which are a blend of beef birria tacos and quesadillas. These are the perfect dish to make with birria leftovers and I highly recommend you use by birria recipe found here. Birria is a little bit of a labor of love but 100% worth it. The flavors from the dried peppers, herbs, and spices used to make the birria are so complex and make for the perfect dipping sauce, or consomé. Yes, you absolutely need to dip these tacos in the sauce, it’s what makes these quesabirria tacos shine!
Quesabirria Tacos (Birria Quesadillas), or whatever you want to call them, are often sold at birrierias. These birrierias are just restaurants or little markets specialized in making birria. As I mention in my birria post, birria is traditionally made with goat meat but I am not about that life. So for my birria I recommend using chuck roast because it has just the right amount of fat to make very tender shredded meat. You can use other cuts or types of roast but it may not be as tender. However, the flavor is absolutely from the sauce. You all know I love using dried peppers but there’s so much more to it. The cinnamon adds some depth to the sauce and the bay leaves are crucial in making this birria taste like traditional birria. Don’t let the sauce intimidate you, it seems like a lot but I guarantee it will be easier than you think and the result will be worth it. When you serve the quesabirria tacos top the side of sauce, or consomé, with chopped onions and cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Now it’s ready to dip and your mouth will be bursting will all the delicious flavors! Enjoy!
Quesabirria Tacos (Birria Quesadillas)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 (8 oz) pkg shredded cheese or 2 cups; *see notes
- birria **see notes
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped; more to taste
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- Strain birria and set consomé/birria sauce aside in large bowl.
- Place large skillet or griddle over medium high heat.
- Dip tortilla into sauce and place on griddle. Sprinkle shredded cheese onto entire tortilla, add shredded birria and chopped onions and cilantro to one half of the tortilla.
- Fold tortilla in half over birria side and slightly press down with spatula.
- With a spoon drizzle a little sauce, about ½ tbsp, onto taco and flip.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, drizzle sauce onto taco and flip one more time. Cook for 1-2 minutes just to enough for tortilla to absorb sauce. Set aside.