This minimal ingredient Salsa Verde Chicken Chili is so easy and incredibly delicious. It’s perfect to make a big batch of and have on hand for the week. Perfect for a rainy, cold, or any good ol’ day! Working full-time I always want to make sure I have something prepped for my lunches or at least have super easy meals on the menu for the week. Let’s be real, I am not about to make some kind of elaborate meal after a long day of work. This is perfect to throw in the crock pot, instant pot, or a regular pot and leave to simmer for a while. The salsa verde gives this hearty chili tons of flavor and, as I always do, I highly recommend you make the salsa verde from scratch. Makes the biggest difference in flavor!
Sometimes the best meals are the ones you just quickly throw together and don’t put much thought or effort into it. This is how this chili came about. I had some leftover salsa verde from a big batch of salsa I made and had the rest of the ingredients on hand. With the use of my handy-dandy Instant Pot this came together quickly. You can certainly make this in the crockpot, letting it cook for a while, or stovetop and letting it simmer for a bit longer. The only real work you have to put into this chili is shredding the chicken after it’s cooked in the broth and salsa. Want to know a hot tip? Pull the chicken out, place in it a large bowl, and use your hand-held mixer to shred the chicken quickly. Trust me, it beats shredding the chicken with two forks.
Now let’s talk salsa verde. If you’ve been on here or following me long enough you know I love me some salsa verde. You may also know I highly recommend making salsa verde from scratch for the best flavor. It’s an extra step but you can make a batch of it and have it on hand to eat with chips or even make another recipe with it, like this pozole verde. Use my salsa verde recipe found here where I also highly recommend you roast the veggies for maximum flavor. Don’t be intimidated about making your own salsa, I promise it is so easy and worth it! Try this Salsa Verde Chicken Chili for your next batch cooking or if you need a big meal. You can easily double the recipe for a bigger family or to share with friends!
Salsa Verde Chicken Chili
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cup salsa verde
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 cans cannellini beans divided, see note*. Can use northern beans
- 3-4 cups chicken broth see note**
- 2 poblano pepper diced; can use bell pepper
- ½ tbsp salt adjust to taste
- Reserve half can of cannellini or northern beans
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the instant pot. Close lid and ensure steam release valve is turned to seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes then manually release steam.
- Pull out chicken breasts and shred with two forks or use a hand-held mixer to shred.
- Put shredded chicken back in Instant pot.
- In a blender add reserved beans and ½ cup water. Blend until smooth.
- Add bean puree to soup and stir until completely incorporated. This will make for a thicker soup.
- Serve with diced onions and a little salsa verde on top. Would also be good with a dollop of sour cream and chopped avocadoes.