These Salsa Verde Wings will rock your socks off! The wings are coated with my delicious salsa verde and are tangy and a little spicy. Perfect for entertaining, football season, or any time you’re craving wings.
My love for salsa verde is serious. The tanginess from the tomatillos with the spiciness from the jalapenos is the perfect combination. There are not a lot of things I won’t put salsa verde on. Which is when I got the idea of making wings with it I knew I had to give it a try. Thank goodness I did because WOW. These wings are so good and are the perfect appetizer. Just trust me, you need these in your life. Oh and did I mention they’re Whole30 compliant?!
Let’s talk about what salsa verde you are going to use. To be honest I think my salsa verde recipe is absolutely perfect for this and you can find the recipe here. If you don’t want to use homemade salsa you can definitely use a store bought salsa. I would just recommend you use something that is not too chunky otherwise the wings may not get fully coated. I love this salsa verde, if I am using store bought, or this one. These are all Whole30 compliant options and so flavorful.
The wings will marinade in salsa, lime juice, olive oil, and spices. This should marinade for a couple of hours but preferably overnight if able to. Once ready to bake I would highly recommend using a cooling rack to place the wings on. It makes for more even cooking and a crispier wing. You are going to flip them halfway, coat them with more salsa, and finish cooking them. Last step is to add one more coat of salsa verde and serve them with a squirt of lime juice.
I just can’t say it enough. These salsa verde wings are so dang good. You can serve them with grilled veggies, a side of rice if you’re not on Whole30, or some fries. Hope that next time you are grilling wings or want a great appetizer you think to make these puppies. It is also perfect for tailgating seeing as football season is coming. (Even if it’s tailgating at home because, well, COVID).
Salsa Verde Wings
- 1 ½ lb chicken wings use party wings already cut into drums and flats
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup salsa verde divided
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl combine wings, cumin salt, pepper, 1/4 cup salsa, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Leave wings to marinade in the refrigerator overnight or at least a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or use a non stick mat. Place a cooling rack on the baking sheet if available.
- Place the wings on the cooling rack or directly on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove wings from the oven and brush them with salsa, flipping them over.
- Bake for additional 20 minutes, remove wings from oven, and brush with remaining salsa.