Southwest Chicken Enchilada Soup
Enchilada soup with chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, and chilies.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- ½ (15 oz) can pinto beans drained. *See note
- ½ (15 oz) can black beans drained. *See note
- 1 (15 oz) can corn drained
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles not drained
- 1 (14-15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas cut into stripes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- ¼ cayenne or chipotle powder optional for extra heat
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder optional to thicken
Add everything except tortillas and olive oil to instant pot.
Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes while you make the tortilla strips.
Add oil to skillet and place over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add tortilla strips and salt to taste. Fry until crispy, about 5 minutes making sure you flip halfway through.
Manually release pressure.
Pull out chicken breasts and shred. Place chicken back into pot and salt if needed.
Serve and top tortilla strips and other toppings such as cheese, cilantro, jalapenos, and lime.
Whisk all ingredients together, except arrowroot powder, in a sauce pan and whisk over medium heat.
In a small bowl add a couple of tablespoons of sauce and add arrowroot powder to sauce. Mix well until all arrowroot has dissolved. Add mixture to sauce, mix well, and whisk over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.